CDC Updates Travel Guidance for Fully Vaccinated People
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated its travel guidance on April 2, 2021 for people who have been fully vaccinated. The CDC considers someone to be fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the last required dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Domestic Travel During COVID-19
- International Travel During COVID-19
- Travel: Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Facial Covering Recommendation
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Recommendation for Masks and Travel. While masks are not currently required at airports or aboard commercial aircraft, for protection against the spread of COVID-19, the CDC recommends that passengers age 2 and older and employees wear masks over the nose and mouth:
- Inside of airport terminals
- Airport trains
- Aboard aircraft.
For additional information, please visit the CDC website.
Masks will continue to be available in airport vending machines and free of charge at airport information counters.
Treat located pre-security in Terminal 4 offers onsite rapid COVID-19 Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) tests with results while you wait. Treat is open seven days a week from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Go to COVID-19 Testing to learn more.
Phoenix Sky Harbor Recognized for Prioritizing Health and Safety
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport has been accredited by Airports Council International (ACI) for providing a safe airport experience for all travelers. In order to receive the accreditation, Sky Harbor was evaluated in several areas including: cleaning and disinfection; cleaning products used; staff training; ventilation and air flow; availability of hand sanitizer; the use of touchless technology and more. Read more about this accomplishment.
A Focus on Sanitation
Our facility has also achieved GBAC STAR™ facility accreditation from the Global Biorisk Advisory Council (GBAC), a Division of ISSA - The Worldwide Cleaning Industry Association, to prevent and respond to outbreaks. Learn more about our efforts to enhance cleaning, disinfection and infectious disease prevention protocols.
Phoenix Sky Harbor is one of a few airports in the nation to achieve both accreditations.
Last year, we also added seven UV-C LED light sterilizers to pre-security escalators in Terminals 3 and 4. This is in addition to the seven we had previously added earlier this summer. Operating 24 hours a day, the new handrail sterilizer is known to kill up to 99.9 percent of disease-causing microorganisms using a germ-destroying light. The light is mounted underneath the escalator handrails out of passenger view and provides an excellent sanitizing solution for the high-touch handrails.
Because health and sanitation are top-of-mind, we have also made some modifications to our heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. We have increased outside air circulation 60-100% which helps to further sanitize our air by replacing air inside the building with fresh, filtered outside air. Our filtration system is a two-stage process with two filters used, and we have increased monitoring and condition assessment of more than 34,000 filters in more than 400 air handlers through our building automation system.
Health and Safety
We will continue to maintain a thorough 24-hour cleaning schedule. The number of times per day high-touch areas are sanitized was increased at the onset of the COVID-19 global health pandemic, and these vigilant sanitation efforts will remain in place.
We are in constant contact with county, state, and federal health officials and follow their health and safety directions as needed.
Here are some of the manners in which we ensure that your health and safety is at the forefront of our operations:
- We have installed appropriate physical distance markers in our facilities and will be adding more in queue lines.
- Hand sanitizer dispensers are available for our customers and employees.
- We have installed plexiglass at our Information Counters to create a seamless but effective barrier between staff and customers.
- We are encouraging physical distancing with overhead announcements, messaging on our flight information displays, and additional signage.
- We are asking passengers to limit the number of people on our Rental Car Center buses and in the PHX Sky Train® cars and to stand back from the doors to allow others to exit.
- Our shops have new protocols in place. For many, this includes additional signage, barriers and queueing markers, increased sanitation, limiting the number of people in stores, and encouraging touchless transactions.
- Restaurants that have fully re-opened have re-configured seating for physical distancing. Many remain open for take-out only at this time.
- Safety signage/messaging is being placed at entryways, PHX Sky Train®, buses, and on our website.
Check & Fly Airport App
Airports Council International (ACI) has launched a new app called Check & Fly. This app gives travelers the opportunity to be prepared for their next flight by checking the health and safety measures of their departure and arrival airports. Download it through the App Store or through Google Play.
USDOT Gives Tips for International Travel
The U.S. Department of Transportation has a comprehensive page of information for all passengers, especially those flying internationally, at FlyHealthy.gov.
Masks/PPE For Sale
Masks are on sale in Terminal 4 at the following locations:
- Trip Advisor (Gates A1-A14)
- 12 News (Gates A17-A30)
- Hudson (Gates B17-B28)
- Connections (Gates C1-C9, D1-D8)
- Arizona Highways (Presecurity)
Masks are on sale in Terminal 3 at the following locations:
- Passage by Hudson (Post-security Lobby)
- Ironwood (Gates F1-F15)
- Best of the Valley (Gates F1-F15)
- Discover Arizona/House of Marley (Gates E1-E10)
- Stellar Market and News (Gates E1-E10)
PPE Vending Machines
PPE vending machines are now available pre-security in both terminals. The machines include the following:
- Individual and bulk packaged face masks, including disposable, KN95, and cloth options;
- Individual 2-ounce and 4-ounce hand sanitizers, and bulk hand sanitizer wipes;
- All-in-one hygiene kits;
- Nitrile gloves and multi-use thermometers;
- Portable and rechargeable UV-C sanitizers for mobile devices and personal items;
- Over-the-counter medicines.
Look for PPE vending machines in the following locations:
- Level 1 Ticket Counters (Door 1)
- Level 1 Ticket Counters (Door 2)
- Level 1 Ticket Counters (Door 4)
- Level 1 Baggage Claim (Door 6)
- Level 2 Inside TSA Security Checkpoint
- Level 2 Ticketing (inside Door 25)
- Level 3 East, before TSA Security Checkpoint C
- Level 3 Center, next to north ATM Machine
- Level 3 West, before TSA Security Checkpoint A
- Level 7 Parking Garage West Elevator Lobby
- Level 7 Parking Garage East Elevator Lobby
Rental Car Center:
- Center Lobby
What can you do as a traveler?
Give yourself extra time.
Practice physical distancing at all times.
Wash your hands frequently.
Use a mobile boarding pass.
Check your airline’s website for their policies for travel.
Continue to check this page for the most up-to-date Airport information.
Airline and Flight Information
See how airlines are working to ensure customers’ well-being while traveling.
Airport Operational Updates
Self-imposed protocols at Phoenix Sky Harbor
- In addition to Sky Harbor’s already thorough 24-hour cleaning schedule, the Airport has proactively increased the number of times per day it sanitizes high-touch areas.
- If someone falls ill while at the airport and calls for paramedics, the Phoenix Fire Department will respond appropriately, in partnership with Maricopa County Health.
- Employees and passengers are being encouraged to use hand sanitizer and wash hands often, for at least 20 seconds.
Most restaurants and shops are open with limited hours as staffing permits.
For status updates on airline lounges Sky Harbor, please visit the Airport Clubs and Lounges page.
The current wheelchair demand is high. The wheelchairs are cleaned as they are brought to the Level 2 staging area prior to passengers using them.
Want the safety of driving your own vehicle to the airport and parking close to your gate? We offer convenient parking options and a touchless travel experience. Save money by reserving your parking in advance.
TSA and CBP
TSA COVID-19 Information
TSA continues to work with the CDC and state and local health departments to monitor local conditions and keep the health and safety of TSA employees and the traveling public first. TSA remains committed to protecting the nation's transportation systems to ensure freedom of movement for people and commerce. If you choose to fly, or are getting ready to fly in the near future, read what TSA is doing to keep you, your family, and your community safe.
Health Department Links
We continue to stay in close contact with county, state, and federal health officials and will follow their direction should further action be needed.
For more information, please visit: