Press Releases - 2014 Archives
Beat the Traffic and Enjoy a Free Snack
Phoenix, AZ – The evening before Thanksgiving is the busiest of the year on Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport’s roadways, especially for travelers entering from the east. In an effort to ease roadway congestion, America’s Friendliest Airport® is offering a special incentive for using the 44th Street PHX Sky Train® station for pick-up and drop off.
On November 26, from 2 p.m. – 9 p.m., Airport staff will be outside the 44th Street PHX Sky Train® Station handing out goodies to those using the station to drop off or pick up passengers. The treats are courtesy of HMSHost and SSP America, Inc., the two operators who manage Sky Harbor’s new restaurants in Terminal 4.
One of the Airport’s best kept secrets, the 44th Street PHX Sky Train® Station offers a quick, five minute ride on the PHX Sky Train® from the station to Terminal 4. Picking up and dropping off at the 44th Street Station will help travelers avoid traffic tie ups on the busiest night of the year. There is even a cell phone lot where drivers may wait, free of charge, while their loved ones take the PHX Sky Train® from Terminal 4. Terminal 4 serves 85 percent of Sky Harbor’s passengers on American/US Airways, Air Canada, British Airways, Southwest, Volaris and WestJet.
From the East Valley, drivers have two options to access the Station:
- Take the 202 west to the 44th Street exit and proceed south
- Drive north on State Route 143 to the Washington Street exit, drive west on Washington to 44th Street, then turn south.
Here are some other Thanksgiving travel tips from America’s Friendliest Airport®:
- Arrive at the Airport at least two hours before your flight departs.
- Look through your purse or carry-on bag before you come to the Airport. Visit tsa.gov for information about what can be placed in your carry-on.
- Take advantage of Early Bag Check, a handy service for travelers flying American/US Airways, Southwest or United. Travelers may check their bags before they arrive at the terminal and avoid the ticket counter lines. The service is available at East Economy Parking, the 44th Street PHX Sky Train Station® and at the Rental Car Center. Early Bag Check is free, though airline bag fees still apply. For additional information, including hours of operation at each location, visit skyharbor.com/earlybagcheck
- Looking for the most convenient parking option? Reserve your parking in advance at skyharbor.com/prepaidparking to save money on terminal garage parking. And, for up-to-the-minute parking availability call 602-273-4545 or visitskyharbor.com/FindASpot
- Visit skyharbor.com on your smartphone or tablet to access our mobile website. Check your flight status and find out which shops and restaurants are near your gate. America’s Friendliest Airport is also America’s Tastiest Airport with a variety of new food options from HMSHost and SSP America. Options in Terminal 4 include Cowboy Ciao, Four Peaks Brewery, Matt’s Big Breakfast, Chelsea’s Kitchen and much, much more.
- Watch Freeway Signs. Drivers should watch for freeway signs providing Airport traffic updates and recommending alternate routes. Drivers are also asked to watch their speed as they enter Sky Harbor and keep an eye out for officers directing traffic. Whether you’re traveling for Thanksgiving or picking up a friend or loved one, give yourself extra time and expect busy roadways. For the latest information on Thanksgiving traffic conditions, follow Phoenix Sky Harbor on Facebook or Twitter @PHXskyharbor.