Don’t let the exterior color of PHX Sky Train™ fool you. It may look silver and black, but it is actually a very green train.
The PHX Sky Train project has achieved Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold certification from the US Green Building Council.
Developed by the U.S. Green Building Council, LEED certification provides third-party verification that a registered
development was designed and built using proven methods to reduce consumption of scarce resources, increase efficiency of
mechanical systems, increase the use of recycled materials, and accomplish the end result in a manner that is sensitive to
the surrounding environment.
Some of PHX Sky Train’s “green” qualities:
- Stage One is expected to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 5,913 tons/year
- Will encourage alternative transportation by connecting Terminal 4 to METRO Light Rail
- Will use drip irrigation and "smart" controllers, reducing landscape water needs at the stations by more than 50 percent
- Stations will use 30 percent less power than an established baseline
- More than 50 percent of all construction demolition waste will be recycled/salvaged.
- Uses at least 10 percent recycled content in building materials