Be a bright spot in someone’s day! Sky Harbor Navigators are a group of friendly volunteers whose mission is to make our guests’ experience at Sky Harbor Airport faster, easier and more enjoyable. Navigator volunteers serve all over the Airport by providing directions, information and friendly assistance. They also serve as a welcoming presence to over 100,000 passengers each day.
Navigators enjoy a sense of community, camaraderie and have a lot of fun in an exciting environment. As an airport volunteer you can enjoy;
- Serving the community and making new friends.
- Sharing knowledge, wisdom and experience.
- Developing new skills.
- Being appreciated by all who work at the Airport!
- Receiving the gratitude of thousands of customers traveling through the Airport!
Navigators are also recognized for their service at special events and receive training, uniforms and can earn free parking.
- Great communications skills
- Year round resident of Arizona
- Able to commit to one, four-hour shift per week
- Stamina to complete four hours of service with one 20 minute break
- Able to pass an FBI screening and qualify for an Airport security badge
Airports around the world are deploying teams of furry friends and their handlers to help de-stress passengers during travel. Meet our Navigator Buddy dogs and see when they are on shift.
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport is happy to join the ranks of airports that provide this free pet therapy service to its passengers. The Navigator Buddies – dogs and their owners – volunteer a minimum of 2.25 hours per week at the airport. They walk the terminals offering opportunities for passengers to pet and enjoy some quality time with man’s best friend.
In order to be considered for the Navigator Buddies program, applicants must:
- Be registered and in good standing with a qualified pet therapy organization (Alliance of Therapy Dogs, Pet Partners or another pre-approved pet therapy organization)
- Have six months or more of dog therapy experience
- Be at least 18 years or older (volunteer handler); dog must be one year or older
- Be a year-round resident of Arizona
- Be able to commit to one shift per week (2.25 hours)
- Be able to pass an FBI screening and qualify for an Airport security badge
Teen Navigator Program
Due to COVID-19, the Teen Navigator Program has been postponed until the summer of 2022.
In 2019, a new Teen Navigator volunteer program began with the intention to help high school students while also helping customers at America’s Friendliest Airport®! For six weeks beginning in June, students who are at least 14 years old can volunteer alongside experienced Navigators at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport in weekly 4-hour shifts.
Teen Navigators will help some of the 120,000 daily visitors by assisting at interactive directories, providing directions, or just offering friendly smiles. This is a great way for a student to fulfill their service learning requirements and see first-hand how the Airport drives Arizona’s economic engine.
A welcoming attitude and willingness to learn are essential, and all applicants must be able to stand for 4-hour shifts or use a mobility device. Teen Navigators should be fluent in English and have strong listening and speaking skills.
Volunteer Airport Chaplain
Volunteer Airport chaplains offer spiritual care to anyone who is traveling through or works within Sky Harbor. The chaplain’s main tasks involve listening to, comforting, and if requested, praying with people who need spiritual support. All Airport chaplains are available and compassionately listen to worries, fears, hopes, and grief while providing comfort, counseling, and spiritual guidance in response to their issues.
Although many chaplains are ordained ministers, non-ordained laypersons also serve as chaplains with the endorsement from an authority in his or her faith group.